Ancestors!


For many years a cousin of mine has been researching our family tree and she recently sent me a link to the online version. I have always maintained an interest in our family history but it was quite an eye opener to see what she had uncovered. A whole mass of names with dates of births, marriages and deaths stretching as far back as the 16th century! This accompanied with numerous old photographs, some of which I had no idea existed.

Aside from being very impressed with her efforts I was intrigued by certain aspects, particularly in relation to the paternal line which I consider to have particular importance anyway. 

For instance, I have always been aware of strong links to Frome and its surrounds on the Somerset borders with Wiltshire. My great grandparents were living and running businesses in Frome when in 1903 they sold up and moved lock, stock and barrel to Bournemouth where they had stayed previously on numerous holidays. Here they bought properties and established a number of new businesses which were run with their growing family including my grandfather and his siblings.




My grandfather can be seen here, as a very young man, proudly standing outside the butcher's shop in Charminster Road which part bore his name.





 

He can be seen again here at the family's bathing hut on Bournemouth beach.

 

He is sat on the ground, the photo including my great grandfather standing beside him and my great grandmother top left.

 

I think a bucket and spade would have been obligatory and casual clothing not to make an appearance until many years later of course!







 

Yet, one thing in particular I was not previously aware of was a strong connection to a very small hamlet by the name of Corsley which lies between Frome and Warminster. Comprising only a small number of properties including a church, manor house, former school and some farms I find it amazing that many of my ancestors over generations should have been born and buried there.                                

    ________________________________________________


For some while I have run an Instagram account I have named Just Churches  -  CLICK HERE  to view.

It records some of my visits to churches both recent and over past years. I mention it now because I have started to add posts relating to churches I have visited since seeing them referred to in the family tree. A little of that information added to each post if you care to look.



St Denys 

Warminster







St Margaret of Antioch

Corsley








             

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

51 Churches of the South Wiltshire Valleys

Combine Harvesting

Harvest Time Raptors