INSTAGRAM - Just Churches

 

I have enjoyed wandering around old churches pretty much since I can remember and now in this age of digital photography have the additional pleasure, and challenge, of producing interesting images.

Living here in South Wiltshire I am spoilt for choice with dozens of towns and villages around me with their (mainly) picturesque offerings. I am particularly drawn to the staggering array of stained glass windows, from magnificent statement piece east windows, to small and ornate side windows which can often have a greater charm of their own. 

I created an INSTAGRAM account called Just Churches specifically to showcase those efforts, some samples of which I have uploaded below. 

I will usually add a very brief historical record and there lies an interesting pattern in itself. A very large proportion of our churches date from around the 12th Century on sites that had been places of worship for a long time previously - often back to Saxon times. Then there seems to be a very long gap until we reach the Victorian era, when there was a massive program of reconstruction and extension. I wonder just what state of repair they had fallen into to warrant such a universal effort over a relatively short period, or perhaps it was simply an ego competition amongst very wealthy neighbouring land owners?


To view Just Churches on Instagram CLICK HERE  













































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

51 Churches of the South Wiltshire Valleys

Combine Harvesting

Harvest Time Raptors